Thursday, July 21

These are the "I Hate the Heat, Kill Me Now" Cupcakes

I knew things were not going to go right tonight, especially after I saw I was out of liners and had to use these fancy ones that were a tad too big for my pan.  Oh, and then I thought I ran out of sugar so I had to start preparing a Swiss Meringue Buttercream instead of regular, Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream.

Strike 1 - The one bowl dark chocolate cake mixed well but did not bake evenly.  After after a few additional minutes they just looked blah, not to mention the liners puckered.

Strike 2 - Swiss Meringue Buttercream never peaks, I tried chilling it but it never thickened up.  Never even got to the step of adding strawberry. That was the last of the bulk of my butter so I had to put on my thinking cap.  A ganache would not have been the correct resolution because some family members hate it and well, I'm not eating 2 dozen cupcakes.

Strike 3 - Decided on a Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting using the strawberry puree I made earlier.  Things looked pretty good until I started to pipe and the hell pit that is my kitchen starting melting everything.  I was so aggravated at this point, I just slopped it on, adding some sugar and called it a night.

Finished Product - Dark Chocolate Cupcake with a Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

I would flunk the presentation portion of Cupcake Wars today :(

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kristen! It's Robin and Taylor. Just checking out your site per your recommendation and EVERYTHING looks soooooo delicious. We love the Oreo cupcakes and the banana split cupcakes, but would appreciate your recommendation since you have to make them. We'll be in touch :)

    ReplyDelete